The Harcourt Butler Sr. Sec. School is one of the oldest and renowned institutions of Delhi. It dates-its origin as back as the eighties of the nineteenth century. Initiative to start this august institution’s was taken by a few enterprising, painstaking and farsighted gentlemen from Bengal who were serving the then central government. It was named as the Bengali Boys School and catered to the educational needs of the wards of the then central government employees. In 1917, the school was renamed as the ‘Harcourt Butler High School’, after the name of Sir Harcourt Butler, the then Education Member of the Government of India. Until 1919, the school functioned under the direct control of the central government. With the introduction of ‘Montague-Chelmsford Reforms’, its control was transferred to the Education Department, Punjab.